The Summit King
Churchill County, Nevada
Churchill County, Nevada
- Commodities: Gold
- Claim designation: Unpatented Lode
- Location: Churchill County, Nevada
The Summit King Mine is a documented mineral property located in the Sand Springs district of Churchill county, Nevada.
Featuring extensive underground workings over two miles on seven levels, remnants of a mining settlement from the 1950s, high-grade Gold ore reserves, and excellent access.
The Summit King property was developed in 1912 by Leslie L. Leonard and C.W Kinney. After prospecting with good results, the men jointly sunk a 130’ shaft and found an eight-foot vein carrying mill-grade ore all the way down below the 500' level with the ore shoot dipping westerly.
Production from 1940 -through 1951 totaled: 20,895 oz. Au and 1,262,255 oz. Ag/ Totaling an impressive amount of $59,930,800 with today's mineral prices.
- 1919- the Martin Brothers took a lease and bond on the property, sunk several more shafts, and shipped 150 tons of $125-$300/ton ore. They also opened several parallel veins containing rich pockets of pyrargyrite ore.
- 1923- channel samples over 3000’ along the deposit by an N.Y firm averaged $15.80/ton in Gold.
- 1924- the Mine was purchased by Senator N.H Getchell who incorporated the property as the Dan-Tucker Mining Co., who works the mine and located four new 3-ft ore shoots.
- After sporadic lease production under the Rosetta Mines Co., the mine was purchased and operated by Summit King Mines, Ltd from 1951 to 1985.
- 2019- RMP, LLC acquired the site and located significant Gold and Silver ore reserves in both the underground deposits and surface tailings piles.
- 2022- The Summit King is listed for public sale after a successful testing phase.
Today the Summit King Mine remains one of the largest producers of the Sand Springs district and holds excellent potential in both underground deposits as well as secondary values in the surface spill.
In 1924 the mining claims were renamed with the western parcel labeled the Dan Tucker Mine, and the eastern claim the Summit Queen.
After numerous changes, both mines now retain the original name of "The Summit King".
After WW2, the western workings shut down due to low amounts of epithermal (surface ore) for the modern open pit operation to profit from the low Gold prices of the era.
While the originally located underground workings hold visible ore strikes in place for further exploration and development.
- Primary workings consist of the original incline shaft sunk in 1912, and multiple secondary connecting sub-shafts along the hillside. Workings are driven
Underground shaft access features an Iron safety gate, while the secondary hillside shafts will require new timbers and maintenance work.
Original assay data shows mineral estimates at: 1-to-15 Opt. (ounces per ton) Au(Gold and 23-to-118 Opt Ag (Silver). With free milling values located in multiple levels of the deposit strata.
Production from 1940 -through 1951 production totaled: 20,895 oz. Au and 1,262,255 oz. Ag.
A large mine spill is available near the base of the shaft headframe, with a combined estimated amount of over 12,000 tons of low-to-mid-grade ore discarded during production before 1940.
An original wood headframe, as well as an old miners' bunkhouse, continue to stand on the historic site.
Access is available to any higher clearance vehicle, during all months of the year.
A level parking and staging area are available near the mine shaft.
The Summit King is a one-of-a-kind Gold mine, with a colorful history of ownership and production.